RightYoga humbly requests you to submit a video of yourself performing the yoga posture, breathing technique, meditation etc for which you wish to receive yoga instructor certification.
1. Fill the online Questionnaire fully.
3. You can even apply for certification in just ONE asana, mudra, pranayama, chanting, or meditation etc. Indeed, in ancient yoga texts, it is stated that if Siddhasana (accomplished pose) is known then no other yoga postures are left to be known.
4. You DON’T have to be proficient in all of yoga’s postures, breathing techniques, or meditations. Experience in just one yoga posture or other yogic practice is sufficient as the minimum requirement.
5. You can even use props. Just be sure to mention it in your application.
6. We understand that various traditions perform the asanas and other techniques slightly differently and sometimes use different names. So we accommodate for that. We are not rigid about details such as finger positioning and other variables. As long as your practice reflects our videos in the ‘big picture’ you should get certified.
7. We are not rigid about details such as finger positioning and other variables. These vary in a hundred different traditions and styles. As long as your practice reflects the ‘big picture’ you should get certified.
8. You will need to demonstrate ALL the asanas, pranayamas, meditations etc that you selected in the Questionnaire. If you don’t select a particular skill, you don’t have to demonstrate it in the video.
9. The video should be between approximately 5-30 MAXIMUM minutes long. The length depends on what you need certification for and how many different postures etc you present. For instance, if it is for a Sun Salutation (Surya Namaskara) routine and nothing else, 5 minutes should be sufficient. If it is for certification of a longer list of asanas, pranayamas, and meditations etc, you will need to demonstrate each practice. You can even demonstrate your entire Ashtanga, Hatha, Pranayama, Kundalini, Meditation, Chanting, Bhakti or any other yoga routine. Practicing any of these forms of yoga leads to better health and peace of mind. They might take you about 20 minutes or longer, especially if you include a commentary, description, or explanation. This would be very nice to include however it is NOT compulsory. Please note: for practical purposes, if your regular yoga routine is longer than 30 minutes, for the video please shorten it to 30 minutes. Thank you.
10. However, you MUST TELL US ON YOUR VIDEO YOUR FULL NAME as stated on the Questionnaire and also tell us the NAME OF THE POSTURE etc you are performing. These two requirements are COMPULSORY and very important because we will need them to match your video with your questionnaire.
11. Please take a look at our yoga pics and their names here. This will confirm you are giving the right name for the posture/s you are demonstrating.
12. If your application type requires certification for holistic lifestyle such as a yoga friendly vegan or vegetarian life style, you should show us your vegetarian or vegan kitchen/pantry. Similarly, if you read self growth books, you should show these as well. Try to show as much evidence as you can that you have practiced for AT LEAST ONE YEAR a vegetarian or vegan, or non-onion and non-garlic foods, or non-alcoholic beverages and non-tobacco lifestyle – and intend to continue it on a permanent basis.
13. All of these video submissions MUST include three other people vouching (telling us) all this is true about you and that you are who you say you are.
By the way, don’t worry about the number 13 above. In yoga, there is only one unlucky or inauspicious number. It is 0 (zero) because it represents nothingness or ‘shunya.’ Whereas yoga itself means literally the opposite: unity or 1 (one). The message of 1ness is perhaps the most holy out of all the beliefs of yoga!
In summary, according to the online yoga instructor certification type you select, your video should:
i) Show yourself performing or teaching the asanas, pranayamas, meditations, vegetarian/vegan kitchen and food at your home, personal growth books, etc.
ii) Show yourself stating your full name and the names of the yoga postures etc you are performing.
iii) Show three people stating all this is true about you and that you are who you say you are.
Learn about various certification requirements.